Smithfield City will hold a Municipal Election in November 2011 to elect Three (3) City Council Members for a four (4) year term to begin on January 1, 2012. If you are interested in running for one of these positions the sign up period is from Friday, July 1, 2011, at 9 a.m. through Friday, July 15, at 5 p.m. You can register at the City Recorders Office, 96 South Main, Room 113, during this time. Ten (10) to twenty (20) hours per week is a good estimate for the time Council Members will need to give to their Council assignments.
The qualification to be a candidate are:
- Be a United States Citizen;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a resident of Smithfield for at least 12 consecutive months;
- Be a registered voter of Smithfield;
- Must reside in Smithfield